Friday 10 January 2014

Sly & The Family Drone - Live in London

This was a fun evening.
Over the last year, I've worked with a band called Sly & The Family Drone. First encountering them at Supernormal festival (where I filmed them) And then I invited them for a performance/film collaboration in Northampton with my band Merrin. I hadn't captured the essence of their live shows though.
It's harder than it sounds considering the kind of abstract noise they make (and how they make it)
Largely improvised, and allowing the audience to get involved in the music making, it's seriously difficult to keep up with how much carnage is going on.
It's a lot of fun though.

I came out to shoot them at The Old Blue last a few months ago, and it proved difficult as ever to capture the performance. I got about half of it, but the lights were low, the space was tight, and the band were pretty much all around the room. The film has been edited using footage from the entire gig (an hour) condensed into half an hour, to make it as visually interesting as possible. I also had to mess with the colours of the footage as it was just too damn dark to get anything solid. The sound is pretty good though.

They have a new record out. It's good, you should check it out.

Sly & The Family Drone : Live from Chris Purdie on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment